Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Procedural unconscionability

Today was my New York Civil Practice final exam. It's always interesting to me to learn on exam day how many people actually were registered for any given class. There are always at least 20 people I have never seen before in my life - they don't go to class, they don't hang out around the building . . . they just show up to exams and end up with the same degree that I am getting. Not that my attendance has been anything to write home about, but at least I went to a few classes!

I met some interesting characters this time around. When I came in, the proctors, in their infinite wisdom, directed me stage left to a chair on the aisle. In order for me to sit there, a guy I had never seen before had to move over because he was taking up three places instead of two. He gave me a super nasty look because he had to move, and stuck me with a broken chair. When I asked him to switch the chairs, he glowered at me and said, "I was here first." Whoa there, sorry to infringe on your space, buddy.

From my seat on the aisle, I could not see the board so I turned around and asked the guy sitting behind me which section our class was. He replied, "I don't know, I can't see either!" So we asked the next person over from him, since the next person over from me was clearly psycho. "Oh," replied the helpful Samaritan, "it says on the board which section we're in!"

Thanks.

Also, I would just like to point out a flaw in our professor's logic. When asked if he would provide us with a practice exam, he said, "No, in real life, you don't get practice exams." Okay, fine. But does that mean that in real life, you will only get three hours to handle three long fact patterns with a grillion issues each and two or three subparts per question?

Just asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter