Sunday, September 17, 2006

In it for the money


One thing people say that has always struck me as absurd to the point of hilarity is when they look you in the eye and say on the subject of a job: "But of course, you're not doing it for the money."

Funny - I didn't know everyone was independently wealthy. I always believed that people went to professional schools and then got jobs in order to support themselves and their families, but I guess that's not what it's about. I guess what it's really about is the intellectual glory of doing document review. I mean, nothing is more challenging, satisfying, and overall life-affirming than making sure the paralegal input your changes. Which, of course, she didn't, so you then have to make them again. And maybe again. I don't know about you, but man, does that make me feel smart. It's pretty much all I need from life, and a paycheck is obviously peripheral.

It's just so weird. I thought that now that I am done with law school, the internship charade would end. I thought that people would understand that other people have bills, loans, lifestyle goals, shoes to buy, etc. But still, I hear this nonsense. So let me be clear: I am in it for the money. I want to enjoy my job, clearly, and I want to take pride in what I do and derive some kind of intellectual satisfaction from it. Naturally. But at the end of the day, I am working because I need to, and I went to law school because I wanted to make a decent living and not have to rely upon other people for the rest of my life. So if that makes me a base, shallow person, then I guess I am. But one day, I'll be a base, shallow person who is completely self-sustaining and I think there is more pride to that than taking money from one's family forever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Know Nothing Attorney said...

Awesome. You had another good entry on internships... About a month ago I had a conversation with a Career Services lady in which she strongly suggested I volunteer until I get my bar results back. I was like, I volunteered my first summer for a legal clinic, my second summer for a federal judge, my last semester in law school I actually paid to represent poor clients in our school's legal clinic, and you want me to do what? After I spent over $100K? Then, recently, she sent me an email:"I know you do not want to volunteer, but..." Ugh.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Strict Scrutiny said...

This is horrifying. I wish I doubted your story but I'm 100% sure you're not lying. Good luck with it all though, email me if you want the name of my temp agency.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter